Oct 26, 2007

'Laamu, Gaadhoo - Maldives' On Black


I was on an official trip here. I had just landed with a small airplane at the airport in Gaadhoo. I was met by some local people there who brought me by boat to this Island where I was supposed to meet some colleagues who arrived on another island the day before by boat. This pic was taken while I was waiting for them. Eventually they came and we all went together to meet with the island chief and further with their council of women. The total population of the island is, I am not sure, but i thought we were told it is around 200-300. We were going to asses the impact of the assistance provided to the islanders after the Tsunami hit the island in Dec 2004. The wave swept through the island (had covered it all) but luckily had lost in height (not in power though) by the time it reached the Maldives. The agricultural land was signficantly damaged by the salt and most of the fishing boats were gone. The highest peak in Maldives is about 2m above mean sea level.

No comments: